ASA Sailing Classes: Frequently Asked Questions
- How should I prepare for my class?By the time you come to class you should have read the entire text. It will help you to better understand what is happening on the boat. Please read your textbook before you arrive.
- What kind of boats do we use for our sailing classes?We teach most of our classes (such as ASA 114 Cruising Catamaran) on Full-Size Catamarans. Examples are the Moorings 3800, Fountaine-Pajot Mahe 36 and Leopard 40. These are the size and type of boats used in bareboat charter programs around the world. Also, most charter companies require that you have training on full size catamarans to be qualified to charter their boats.
- What should I wear?
- Layered clothing is essential
- Non-Marking footwear to protect our boats and your feet. Flip-flops, bare feet, heavy shoes or high heels don’t go well with sailing.
- Hat with tether or your hat will be lost to the wind.
- Sun Glasses
- Sun Block
- Sailing Gloves
- Lunch and snacks such as energy bars will get you through the day. Some Instructors prefer not to return to shore for lunch on certain class days.
- Life Jacket (PFD). You may bring your own, but we have them onboard each of our boats.
- Where do we meet for class?All of our San Diego sailing classes depart from the Sunroad Resort Marina located at:
955 Harbor Island Drive
San Diego, CA.
Our office is in the back (marina side) of the main building, on the NE corner.
- When do we meet?Most classes begin at 9 AM. Actual class ending time will vary based on the class you take. Many of our class offerings are multi-day.
- Do you have other locations?Yes! WCM has been operating out of San Diego for nearly a decade, and has recently opened two new locations on Baja’s Sea of Cortez. WCM classes are available at all locations. In San Diego, you can find us only 5 minutes from downtown San Diego, and just 3 minutes from the airport:
San Diego Location:
Sunroad Resort Marina
955 Harbor Island Dr. Suite 180
San Diego, CA 92101
Loreto/Puerto Escondido Location:
Marina Puerto Escondido
Calle Bahia de las Palmas
Puerto Escondido 23894
Baja California Sur, Mexico
La Paz Location:
Carr. Pichilingue Km. 2.5
Lomas de Palmira, 23010
La Paz, Baja California Sur, Mexico
You can always call us at: 619.365.4326
- What is your cancellation/refund policy, insurance, etc.?
In order to provide the best experience and maximum personal instruction, WCM typically limits class sizes to 4 persons (except Coastal Navigation, Intro To Catamarans, and some clinics). The minimum number for a class to take place is 3 students.
A 50% non-refundable deposit is required at time of booking, and tuition will be paid in full 30 days prior to beginning of class. This balance payment is also not refundable. WCM Sailing School will charge your credit card the tuition balance 30 days prior to the first day of your scheduled class. You will be notified by email when your tuition is paid-in-full. If you would like to eliminate this extra step please consider paying the entire tuition when your reservation is made.
All tuition payments for classes in San Diego are assessed a 9% Marina and San Diego Port Fee. Marina fees may vary for classes booked at the Mexico locations.
Rescheduling & Cancellation:
Up to 60 days before the start of your scheduled course or class, you may request an alternate date. There are no refunds offered, however you may reschedule your class booking for a fee (20% of the full class amount), booking another date up to one year from your original class start date.
Please understand that your change/rescheduling affects all other enrolled students, some of whom may have already purchased airfare and taken time off work. Your changes also affect your instructor’s schedule, as well as boat scheduling. This could result in postponing the class or canceling it entirely. For these reasons there are no refunds or rescheduling within 60 days of class start date.
While San Diego, and the Sea of Cortez enjoy some of the fairest and most consistently good weather in the world, we will on rare occasions have to postpone a class due to inclement weather. This decision is made at the discretion of the Sailing Instructor and management of West Coast Multihulls. If a decision to postpone a class is made, it is done so with the safety and comfort of of our clients in mind. If foul weather is forecast we urge you to contact us for an update.
Staying Aboard Our Boats:
We provide free lodging on our boats only for all classes that require overnight sailing, anchoring, mooring or docking as part of the class syllabus. These classes include Bareboat Multihull Charter (ASA 104/114), Catalina Complete Sailing (ASA 101, 103, 104, 114) and Advanced Coastal Cruising (ASA 105 & 106 or 106).
- Is there a way for me to get out on a catamaran without taking a class?Sure thing! We periodically do an “Intro to Catamaran Sailing” as an informal way for a group of people to get out and see what all the fuss is about. Simple snacks, a couple beverages, the sun, breeze, all in San Diego. Great way to start. Sign up for our mailing list to stay informed.